Tuesday, August 13, 2019

Sorry No Pictures


Isn't this the Truth? Yes it is. It really is....

Boy this hits the nail right on the head... a dead shot!

 Well we made it to Fredericksburg. We loved the scenery and it was really beautiful. Around each bend another beautiful scene to greet us. It also brought on a sense of anxiousness to see what was next.

 We left here around 12:30pm and we had a great drive. Nathan went with us but Jonathan decided to stay home.
 We had a sad moment. Karyn and I went to Jonathan's work to get something and he decided not to go.
 On the way home I spotted a new business, it was a tropical fish store and I said to Karyn "I bet that they would know what was wrong with Cappy", our beta fish.
 She said "Mama we already know that Cappy is dying."
 I agreed. In my heart I knew but I said that I hated to see him suffering. 
 As soon as we walked into the door Nathan told us that Cappy had died.
 Of course I was sad but so very glad that he wasn't suffering any longer. So we had to do the sad thing and bury him before we left.

 So we were off and we did enjoy the ride and decided that we would come back when we had longer to explore.
 Our first thing was to find out just which winery to visit. Every time we found one we wanted to visit the next one we came too was just more awesome than the last.

 And so it went until we actually got into Fredericksburg. 
 From the minute that I made the reservation I had been nervous.
 We originally had reservations at the La Quinta but Karyn canceled them after looking at the online website I had found while looking at things to do while we were there. I posted the photos in my last post.
 Our theory was that we were just going to be there one night that even if it was a dump it was do-able.
 Well yep it turned out to be a dump. Our room didn't even resemble anything on the website but it was alright... until you opened the bathroom door. 
 Karyn was the first one in as she needed to go and she came out and said.. "Well the bathroom is old and outdated and a hot mess so just keep the door closed."
 Karyn and I laid down to nap and Nathan hooked up his game to the tv and she and I slept probably a good couple of hours when I woke her up. My leg was throbbing so bad I had to take a pain pill and that did not a thing to help. It was different. A hot sharp pain.

 It was beginning to get dark so Karyn and Nathan went to find him something to eat for dinner and I decided to walk on my leg. No better time I thought than to check out the courtyard. I might get lucky and see some wild life.

 Well they did have an old decoration of a windmill. But the birdbath had no water in it. I never saw any flowers or bird feeders.
 But there were benches in the yard but the walk area and around the benches were covered with English ivy. So much of it I was afraid to walk in it because of spiders and other not so nice critters, let alone sit on the benches.
 They had 2 picnic tables at the other end. Needless I was very disappointed but life went on. I would really enjoy the town the next day.

 Karyn and Nathan had gotten back and she and I decided we had better take care of our own meal. We decided on chicken from Church's fried chicken and they had a good deal going so we got that as a carry out and headed back to the hotel.

  Karyn's eyes became red and swollen and she developed a head ache and sore throat. We assumed that since the window unit a/c was right next to her bed that was the cause. I told her I would trade sides with her.
 She seemed better while we were out and I asked her how she felt and she said she was feeling ok.
 We made it back to the hotel and walked in on Nathan having a full blown asthma attack.
 My child had not had an asthma attack in years. I swear I don't know what made me think to pack my inhaler. I don't use it often but I have kept the prescription up just in case I needed it.
 While I was packing my meds I seen a brand new inhaler that hadn't been opened and I grabbed it,
 I had put in with my med drawer and I just tossed it in with my meds that I was taking with me. I just don't know why but the fates did I guess.

 I grabbed it for him and he used it. I was a nervous wreck asking him if he thought that he needed to go to the hospital. 
 Finally he seemed better and I didn't hear the tell tale wheezing and the rattle. I begin to relax a little.

  Karyn and I sat down to eat our dinner. Afterwards she laid back down and Nathan went outside for a bit and I read. I was just falling back to sleep when Nathan came in and I put my book down.
 My leg was hurting again. BAD! I was getting worried about it and it was too early to take another pain pill so I decided to go out and take a walk.
 Some of our neighbors were out and we said hello but that was it really. Some were grilling hamburgers and a couple more were talking on the phone. I sat down on the bench in front of our door and just sat there rubbing my leg for a good while.

 It stopped hurting and I went back inside. Nathan said "Mom I can't breathe in here and Karyn was awake and said she was itching really bad on her scalp and her head was hurting.
 She had changed shampoos and said that it had dried her hair out and probably her scalp too. 
 She went to take a shower and came back out and said asked if we had looked at the shower and we said no. 
 She said she wasn't stepping a toe in it and said for us to go and look. 
 The second I pulled back the shower curtain I knew what was wrong with my kids. Black mold ran up and down the side of the wall, all over the caulking and around the baseboards.
 While I was looking at the bathroom Karyn took the front off of the a/c and when I went back out she said.. "Mom there is mildew all in this a/c."
 I looked and shook my head. "I know what is wrong with you and Nathan. Black mold."

 While they were growing up we lived in a house that had black mold growing from the outside brick of our house and into the inside. We didn't know it for a few years because we couldn't see it. Rain water would hit the wall and run down between the brinks and eventually it led to black mold.
 We were all sick all of the time and no one knew why and this experience brought back lots of memories. Like Nathan having 2 or 3 bad asthma attacks every week and Karyn suffering from headaches. All the kids had sore throats and complained of feeling tired and sluggish. 
 I found all this out when it started coming into the house and I was washing the wall with bleach. Not a lot was known to us about the black mold. We heard about it but didn't really think about it.
 The guy that was my pest control man actually is the one that told me about it. He said you really need for someone to come out and seal this brick. When I asked why he told me about the black mold and how bad it could make people sick. I told him my family is always sick and I told him about the wall I was constantly bleaching and he came in and took a look.
 Next was the expensive repair of the brick but I actually think that it had grown under the house and was no way to get rid of it. 
 But I left my husband and I moved so I don't know if he repaired it or not. I do know he had the floors ripped out and replaced at one time.
 We agreed that we couldn't finish the night out. We decided to go out and see the meteor shower and see how we felt when we got back.

 The meteor shower was a bust. We got there and I had trouble with my walker because all of the rocks were not packed in the ground from where we parked, they were loose so my walker wouldn't roll over them. The wheels were sinking into the rocks.
 We left my walker at the car and Karyn and Nathan helped me to one of the picnic tables. But with the near full moon and the park lights we couldn't see anything and I couldn't walk the trails. I had my cane with me but I wasn't able to move around a lot without help. I guess we stayed a couple of hours and just enjoyed the evening. It had been so hot during the day. 107 degrees so it had cooled down after midnight. 
 Still we didn't see a single shooting star let alone several. We were disappointed about it and I told the kids they should go onto one of the trails and I would go back to the car and wait on them. But they wouldn't hear of leaving me alone. 

 We went back to the hotel and decided to sleep for a little while but a half hour or so into our sleep, Nathan had another asthma attack.
 We were afraid of putting him at further risk by staying so we decided to leave. I guess we got home around 4:00am this morning. 

 Karyn and I decided that we are going again but we are going to stay at the hotel that she had booked us at originally. 

 I didn't take photos. In fact I had turned my ringer off of my phone and I never gave it another thought. So unusual for me!
 But Karyn took photos of the room and especially the bathroom. She will send them to me. 

 Anyway I learned a great lesson. I will let other's book our rooms lol. 

 The trip was not a waste of time. Just riding thru the town was awesome and seeing the buildings up close was interesting. 
 Karyn said that it would take 2 days just to walk it. One day for each side of main street lol. 
 I agree. It is really nice and clean town and the place where we got our chicken was the cleanest that Karyn said she had ever seen.
 We are not sure why that hotel is still in business. That bathroom was really disgusting. No cute shower curtain can ever hide that. 
 I don't know why we didn't pull it back and take a look. I would have insisted we get our money back if I had checked it right after we got in. We did check for bedbugs tho and thankfully no evidence of those horrible things.
 But the bed was really super comfortable the pillows were downy soft and I had no trouble falling asleep. Karyn didn't either. 

 I am happy to report that since we have been home that Nathan is not wheezing or showing any signs of an asthma attack.
 Karyn's head is better, sore throat gone and her eyes are fine.
 Knock on wood, I haven't had a single pain in my left leg at all today.

 And with this I am going to say goodnight. I think that I can rest and so I am going to bed. Goodnight everyone...  BB

2 comments:

  1. Wow! I'm so sorry your trip was such a bust. I'm surprised no one has reported that motel to the board of health in that town. Maybe you should do it and save someone else from getting sick.

    Next time you plan a trip, plan to leave early in the morning and check your motel room (if you can) before paying, Michael and I booked a room many years ago at a motel in New Jersey that would make you cry. It was totally disgusting. We ended up spending the night in our car until the next day before we could book a room at a different place.

    Hopefully, you've been able to get some rest, and I'll chat with you in a bit. Hugs, Edna B.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's just crazy how quickly black mold can affect us and make us sick. The pain in your leg, Nathan's asthma, Karyn's headaches and puffy eyes. Yes, when in doubt stay in a chain hotel or motel. I think they have minimum corporate standards.

    ReplyDelete

Less Drama

  My son and daughter in Arizona.... Howling at the Moon....   Hello,  I have been pretty busy with doctor appointments but I seem to have a...